The words life changing and oatmeal raisin cookie tend to not be used in the same sentence. Many people think oatmeal raisin cookies are just chocolate chip imposters, but I’m here to prove them wrong. These vegan oatmeal raisin cookies are absolutely the best cookies I’ve ever made. They will change your life!
These gorgeous vegan oatmeal raisin cookies are based on a brilliant cookie recipe by Melissa Clark and New York Times Cooking. I adapted the recipe to match my own sweetness preferences, and then subbed with my favorite vegan egg replacement. Can you guess what it is? Is it flax? Is it applesauce? Nope! My favorite egg replacement for cookies is a CORN STARCH EGG! You read that right! Corn starch is known for it’s binding and thickening properties, so it makes sense that it works as an egg replacement! These cookies have plenty of vegan butter and other factors keeping it moist that you won’t be missing any of the moisture that a regular egg would otherwise bring. That is why a cornstarch egg works perfectly.
Now, I could go on and on about corn starch eggs but that’s not why you’re here, is it? You’re here to hear about why these vegan oatmeal raisins are life-changing. Besides the fact that they are perfectly sweet and chewy, with a hint of spice and pockets of raisins? They’re life changing because they’re near impossible to mess up, and bake up gorgeously chewy no matter if you make them small or big! Yup, I actually tested the recipe using a regular 1-inch cookie scoop and then again using a more ice-cream scoop (2 inch) sized cookie scoop! The cookies baked up golden and chewy every time.
What’s the other reason these vegan oatmeal raisin cookies are life changing?
They aren’t a chocolate chip cookie imposter! These cookies are beautiful and wonderful in their own way. They aren’t trying to be a cookie they aren’t. They are absolutely the best cookies I’ve ever made and think they might be yours too! No hate to my other dessert recipes, but you need to try this one. See it below, and tag me on instagram if you make it!
Life Changing Vegan Oatmeal Raisin Cookies
- 12 tbsp vegan butter softened
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- 1/4 cup almond milk
- 1/2 tbsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp ground ginger
- 1 1/2 cups old fashioned oats
- 1 cup raisins regular or golden
Corn starch egg
- Whisk together corn starch and nut milk until emulsified and let sit until instructed to add to other ingredients.
Oatmeal Raisin Cookies
- Preheat oven to 350 Degrees Fahrenheit.
- Beat together vegan butter, both sugars, and vanilla. Add in corn starch egg and beat until fully combined.
- Sift in flour, baking soda, salt, and spices. Lightly stir in but not until fully combined.
- Stir in oats and raisins, and stir dough until all ingredients are fully combined and flour is evenly distributed (no chunks of flour!)
- Use a 2 inch scoop to scoop big cookies onto parchment lined baking sheet. Bake at 350 degrees F for 15 minutes. Let cool and enjoy!