Vegan coffee cake is a breakfast and brunch staple. Especially on Mother’s Day! Growing up, Starbucks had some of my favorite coffee cake. I can’t get enough of the crumble topping! Obviously, that recipe is not vegan so I had to do my own healthy vegan take on it.
Vegan Coffee Cake is the key to happiness
I’m not wrong, am I? There’s something about eating cake for breakfast that feels so indulgent, but this vegan blueberry coffee cake is a little more wholesome, packed with nutrients from the blueberries, and still tastes just as fabulous. I love the pop of color the blueberries give this vegan breakfast recipe, making it perfect for a special Mother’s Day brunch but easy enough to make as a weekday breakfast meal prep.
I call these coffee cake bars because I prefer my coffee cake in “snackin” form, meaning it is dense enough to eat with your hands. Who has time to use utensils anyways?! Just kidding, we do use utensils around here, but it feels so fun to eat breakfast with your hands! I love the moisture that the bananas bring to this coffee cake without making it too banana-y. Toss in some fresh blueberries, and you’ve got yourself a beautiful yet easy breakfast or brunch recipe.
To me, vegan baking is all about making recipes that many people can enjoy even if they have food allergies or intolerances. What’s a Mother’s Day brunch or summer get-together without having some food that many people can enjoy?! Plus, I bet your family and friends won’t even know this coffee cake is vegan. Be sure to check out my other vegan breakfast recipes on the blog, and as always, be sure to tag me on instagram at maggiebakesgrace if you enjoy this recipe or recreate it!
Vegan Blueberry Banana Coffee Cake Bars
Coffee Cake Batter
- 2 bananas medium and ripe
- 1 1/4 cup almond milk
- 1/3 cup oil neutral
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 scoops vanilla protein powder plant-based
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup fresh blueberries
- 6 tbsp melted vegan butter
- 3/4 cup coconut sugar
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350 Degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a large bowl, mash your bananas. Pour in almond milk, oil and vanilla and stir until fully combined. Sift in the flour, sugar, baking powder, protein powder, and salt.
- Once dry ingredients are almost fully combined in batter, stir in the blueberries. Stir just to combine.
- Pour batter into greased 13x9inch pan.
- Create crumble topping by mixing together the melted vegan butter, coconut sugar, flour, and cinnamon. Add this on top of the batter in the pan.
- Bake for 45 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Let cool completely before cutting and enjoying!