This Caramelized Banana Vegan Breakfast Bowl is a great way to use up leftover rice. It is a sweet, comforting, hearty breakfast that is easy to customize and easy to keep vegan and gluten-free! Warm creamy rice meets spicy cinnamon, sweet maple syrup, and deep caramelized bananas in a beautiful Coconut Bowl. You could add whatever spices and toppings you want to make this bowl the breakfast of your dreams.
One of my coziest memories from childhood is waking up on an early Winter school morning. My dad would build us a fire in the fireplace, and my mom would heat up rice with butter, cinnamon and sugar for breakfast. If you’ve never had rice this way, you are SERIOUSLY missing out. It is the definition of comfort. In this bowl, I reheat it with a bit of oat milk as well and it is truly a beautiful combination.
Why you need this vegan breakfast bowl
I love my mom’s classic sweet rice, but I also love elevating it a bit for a more nourishing breakfast bowl. Combined with non-dairy yogurt and deep caramelized banana, it feels a little fancier and tastes a little more wholesome while maintaining the same comfort. The best part of this breakfast bowl is that the caramelized banana takes no time at all! By no time I mean less than 5 minutes. You just throw your ingredients into a hot pan for a few minutes and boom, delicious caramelized banana!
Now, I know we all love our oatmeal here, but there’s something about the rice that just adds some nice variety! It has a similar vibe to oatmeal, but honestly is a great way to change it up, and is just as (if not more) cost effective. Be sure to tag me on instagram at maggiebakesgrace if you make your own caramelized banana vegan breakfast bowl!
Caramelized Banana Vegan Breakfast Bowl
- 1 cup leftover cooked rice
- 1/2 cup oat milk
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp cinnamon
- 1 banana, sliced
- 1 tbsp vegan butter
- 1/8 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
Build your bowl
- 1 cup non-dairy yogurt
- 1 Brazil nut garnish
- Add all rice base ingredients to a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave for 2 minutes on High, where some of the oat milk boils off and rice is heated through.
- Add the vegan butter and maple syrup to a medium high heated pan. Let melt together then add in 1 sliced banana, so each slice has a flat side down.
- Let the banana cook in the sauce for 2 minutes, flip over to the other side, and sprinkle on cinnamon. Let cook for 2 more minutes then remove from heat.
Build Your Bowl
- Add the creamy warm rice base to a bowl. Add some non-dairy yogurt of choice.
- Top with caramelized banana and garnish of choice. Enjoy!