What’s better than that classic store-bought Oreo cookie dunked in a cold glass of dairy-free milk? These homemade, gluten-free, vegan Oreos copycat! Crunchy chocolate cookies meet sweet, creamy white filling in the best flavor combo there is.
Yep, I said it, that crunchy chocolate with sweet cream is the best flavor combo. I know I said peanut butter and chocolate is the best, like in my Vegan Tagalongs but I’m am starting to become partial to the cookies ‘n cream vibe! These homemade gluten-free and vegan Oreos are a crucial part of my Cookies ‘N Cream Vegan Ice Cream. They are also fan-flipping-tastic on their own!
The real question is:
Are you a “take a bite out of the cookie” type or a “lick the cream from the center first” type?? With these vegan Oreos, either method is deliciously tasty. They are also slightly more wholesome than the store-bought kind thanks to using easy and real ingredients! Oreo did just release gluten-free cookies, but there is something about a homemade version that just feels so much more special!
My favorite part about these vegan Oreos is that they aren’t complicated! They are an easy vegan dessert recipe that you can make ahead of time, and they store really well in the fridge. This recipe uses accessible ingredients that most grocery stores carry, which to me is really important. Eating dairy-free does not need to be expensive or unattainable! Many vegan recipes are too complicated or use specialty ingredients that you have to go to special stores for. I simply am not about that.
I hope you make these homemade vegan Oreos and they bring you as much joy as they bring my family!
Gluten-Free and Vegan Oreos
- 1/2 cup oat flour store-bought or homemade
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder high quality
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/8 tsp baking soda
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/4 cup melted vegan butter
- 2 tbsp non-dairy milk of choice
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tbsp softened vegan butter
- 2 tbsp non-dairy yogurt
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Combine all dry dough ingredients in a medium bowl. Once combined, pour in the vanilla, melted vegan butter, and non-dairy milk.
- Stir ingredients together until dough forms. Form into ball. Refrigerate, covered, for at least 30 minutes.
- While that chills, preheat oven to 300 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Once dough has chilled, roll out into 1/4 inch thick slab. Use circle cookie cutter (I used a mason jar lid) to cut out even sized circles.
- Place cookies on parchment lined baking sheet and bake for approzimately 10 minutes, give or take a minute depending on the size of circle you cut.
- Let cookies cool completely after baking.
- While cookies cool, make your filling!
- Combine all the filling ingredients in a medium bowl. Beat until smooth.
- Time for assembly! Take one cookie, add 1-2 tbsp of filling and then top with another cookie.
- Enjoy! Store in fridge.